[Sca-cooks] Panforte

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 29 14:28:00 PST 2011

> Bear replied:
>>I've got a stack of recipes on candying fruits, roots, and peels, and I
>>plan
>>on trying them out, including candied squash or gourd (depending on what I
>>can find, Oklahoma not being as kind as the Coasts).
>
> Here it is called Opo, which is its Filipino name, although it has some
> other names. It is sold in various markets here, not just the Berkeley
> Bowl, including those that cater to South Asians. Opo travels and keeps
> well, so you might be able to find it, if you have some Asian or South
> Asian stores not too far away.

Unfortunately, most groceries in Oklahoma don't carry anything more exotic
than jicama and tomatillos.  There are occasional gardeners who sell them,
but the only grocery that I every found gourds is now closed.

>>The second panforte
>>is a sweetened bread with spice, fruit and nuts it does use leaven and
>>water
>>and is found in the 19th Century cookbooks. The original 16th Century
>>recipe I used calls for flour, water and bigo with more water than honey.
>>It is obviously a bread recipe for a sweetened but not enriched bread. It
>>might also be classed as a great cake in that era.
>
> This sounds closer to the Italian sweet yeasted bread that is today called
> Pannetone (a four syllable word, BTW, for those unfamiliar with Italian).
> I don't bake yeasted stuff often, so i haven't compared yours with a
> modern Pannetone recipe. Have you baked Pannetone? If so, in what ways
> does it differ from the SCA period Panforte recipe?
> --
> Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]

Yes I have baked pannetone.  Pannetone uses sweeter spices, a broader range
of fruit and nuts and the dough is enriched with eggs, milk and butter where
the panforte uses spices with greater bite and is a sweetened basic bread
dough.  It's the eggs, milk and butter that make the real difference in the
two products.

Bear