[Sca-cooks] some liver and other offal recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 00:07:08 PST 2011

Bear mentioned:
<<< Try chitterling, Stefan.  It's a Middle English word for the small intestine
of pigs usually fried or steamed.  >>>

Oh! I've heard the name before, but didn't know what part it was. I may have thought of chitterlings as fried skin.

Adamantius said:
<<< FWIW, sausage casings are rarely made from the complete intestine;
normally what you see now is one of the layers, more a membrane than the
vascular and muscle tissue comprising most of the intestine (think about
what an intestine does, anatomically, and whether a sausage casing has
anything like the complexity of design needed). >>>

Another Oh! I thought that was all you did, clean out the intestines inside and out and then use them as sausage casings. I didn't know there were multiple more steps involved.

<<< an incredibly rich and unctuous
food, miles away from empty sausage casing. If you've ever had fried
tripe, they're a bit like that. >>>

Unctuous?

What's tripe?

Stefan
(Obviously not as adventuresome as some folks on this list)
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com