[Sca-cooks] Panforte

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 12:07:52 PST 2011

In recently looking through some of the old (1800's and early 1900's) cook books
that I

have, in them, citron is candied watermelon rind.  This was very interesting as
I always thought "citron" was a big fruit like a grapefruit, found in the
Mediterranean, with a really thick dense pith and rind.  I have seen pictures of

these and the rind is candied to make the citron that we see in recipes for
fruitcake and such.

So what do you all know citron to be?  And could the citron in the period
recipes possibly 'BE' candied melon rind instead of the citrus fruit?

Just wondering.

Mirianna

>>>Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Panforte

How about candied citron?