[Sca-cooks] suet vs. fat

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Mon Jan 31 20:29:02 PST 2011

Suet is the fat that lives in on, and pads, the organs in the body cavity.
(probably not the proper terminology :)
Regular fat is what is layered in the muscle meat.
For most purposes they are, no doubt, interchangeable.
My grandma insisted that her Cornish Pasties were not as good if it was fat
in the crust rather than suet.
I have never done comparisons, for all I know they may be interchangeable in
all applications.
But there is a technical difference, and a real butcher (at least in my
family's reality) should know that difference.
It probably really has all the bearing of, say, Beet Sugar vs Cane Sugar...
Randell