[Sca-cooks] Medieval Cookbooks from Books LLC

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 17:18:18 PST 2011

This is a warning and a review!

There is a new 2010 book out called Medieval Cookbooks (Book Guide)
which is turning up now in book searches.
30 pages. Publisher: More: http://booksllc.net/?id=12642417
Reprinted: 2010, General Books, Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Chapters: Le Ménagier de Paris, Apicius, Forme of Cury, Liber de
Coquina, le Viandier, Liber Cure Cocorum, Du Fait de Cuisine, Kitab Al-
Tabikh. Source: Wikipedia. Not illustrated.

See it at Amazon (It's also available at a number of international
Amazon sites.):

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Cookbooks-Study-Guide-M%C3%A9nagier/dp/1157547060/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295830583&sr=1-3

What they have done in this instance is reprint a specific Wikipedia
entries and only this Wikipedia entry. No other information added.

Go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Medieval_cookbooks

and see what the entries are. The book states:

"Think you can improve the book? If so, simply go to the online
version and suggest changes. If accepted, your additions could appear
in the next edition!"

----

Please be aware

--If you go to their website, LLC will try to sign you up to - "Book
Club Free Trial Membership:  Have you bought one of our paperbacks? If
so, you are entitled to a free trial subscription to our book club.
You can use it to get other editions or related books for free. Simply
enter the bar code number from the back of the book you bought for
your free membership below. After the first free month,  if you chose
not to cancel, Paypal will bill you $14.99 a month."

----
Yes, that's right! To look at other Wikipedia gathered volumes, it
will run you $14.99 a month.
-----
I bought the book because I wanted to see if the SCA was mentioned.
Actually the description is wrong. It's only a numbered 24 pages. They
added blank pages to make it come to 30 and they also use blank pages
to make it come to the 24!
SCAwise- Yes they mention Thomas Gloning and James Prescott's Viandier.

In this case not being mentioned might be a real plus.

Johnna