[Sca-cooks] West/Antir Cooks Playdate, was Stuffed Monkey Heads

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 15:56:30 PST 2011

Liutgard asked:
>  Just as an aside- Juana, is there a play date planned
>  this year? I don't know if I could come (same health
>  issues with the wood fires as last time) but it would
>  be nice to spread the word far and wide...

Juana Isabella replied:
>It is An Tir's turn to autocrat this year, but I'm planning on there
>being a play date.
>Three or four whole days (not counting set up day and break camp
>day) of cooking over fire in pots with feet. Too much fun. July 4th
>weekend on the southern Oregon coast at the West An Tir War. Join in
>the fun.

I had a wonderful time last year!

Plus i got to test some of the less spectacular but no less period
Ottoman recipes.
Chilbir is a dish of poached eggs with pan cooked onions, yogurt
sauce, and a sprinkling of sumac, which appears in lists of dishes
eaten by Mehmed II in 1469, without onions, and by Mehmed IV, r.
1648-87.
Lalanga are pancake like, served with honey and chopped nuts, and
likely learned from the Byzantines, served to Sultan Mehmed II and
mentioned by Hans Dernschwam as widespread and popular in the 16th
century, but it is no longer common today.
Both dishes are fairly plain and simple and not what i would choose
to serve at a feast.

I'm intending to be at the War this year. I now have my own set of
fire tools to share with the camp. But i am not likely to have any
period pots until i find someone who makes the kind from my part of
the historic world.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita