[Sca-cooks] Candied Pumpkin (was Panforte)

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 13:32:47 PST 2011

Hi Kiri,

Here you go:

Um tratado da cozinha portuguesa do século XV
[Coleção de receitas, algumas bastante originais, para o preparo das mais variadas iguarias]

A Treatise of Portuguese Cuisine from the 15th Century
[Colection of recipes, some very origional, for the preparation of most varied delicassies]

Translated by Baroness Faerisa Gwynarden

Pumpkin Compote
Obtain a very hard pumpkin, and cut it into pieces, whatever size and shape you like, peeling and cleaning them very well inside. Next fill a bowl with cold water, and cast in a handful of salt. Before mixing the salt that is on the bottom, add an egg to the water. when this (egg) rises to the surface and all that appears of it is a little piece the size of a 10 centavo coin, dissolve the salt with a wooden spoon. Strain that brine and place it in a container, with the pumpkin pieces. After 24 hours of soaking, remove the pupmkin pieces and immediately place it in cold water, where they will stay for three days, with the water changed five or six times a day.. After that period of soaking, in cold water, taste the pumpkin. If it still tastes salty, once again put it in the water for another three days, changing the water as last time, bring it to a boil eachday, and return the pumpkin to cold water. On the third day, finish cooking it completely, until a
 pin can completely pierce the pieces. Remove the pumpkin from the water and let it dry very well. Next arrange the pieces in a deep container, covering them with syrup, more on the thin side. During 15 days the pumpkin pieces shall remain in the syrup, but each day take just the syrup to the fire to boil, leaving the pumpkin during this time, covered in a container with hot water. At the time of returning the syrup to them, dry the pumpkin pieces very well from the hot water in which they were covered. During the time in which this sweet is prepared, the syrup should be clarified with egg white, every two days, and strain it daily, before adding it to the compote. After 15 days the compote will be ready. And it will look prettier if you add a fresh syrup on the last day.

Juana Isabella
West