[Sca-cooks] Cooking from Sent Sovi

aeduinofskye aeduinofskye at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:09:39 PST 2011

This past weekend we went down to some friends for a gaming weekend.

Earlier the hostess read about me getting Sent
Sovi and decided my "rent" for the weekend was me
cooking Saturday dinner. Just tell her what
ingredients I would need and they would be there
waiting. And for the most part they were, except
the dogs had found the mint in the garden and
decided to try to freshen their breath, it didn't work.

I chose Recipe 50 from the appendix 1, Chicken Turnover.

  In my request list I asked for frozen rolled
pie crusts since I didn't want to take time out
of gaming and I didn't want to ruin the rest of
the weekend by manipulating pie dough for 6 pies.
They didn't have leg quarters so boneless
skinless leg meat was procured. This was fine
since I didn't have to worry about bones poking
holes in the dough and I would have pulled off
the skins anyway since chicken skin cooked in
pastry has a nasty texture anyway. I par-fried
the salt pork to render out some of the fat.

The recipe called for "good spices." Isn't that a
familiar term to those of us who do historical
cooking. Since I had the book available I read it
and noted what spices were mentioned. Of the ones
mentioned, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and saffron
were all mentioned multiple times. I also used
grains of paradise since they were mentioned and
I like the taste. I didn't use much cinnamon and
I probably should have used more.

Other things mentioned were raisins, parsley and
toasted almonds.  All of which I forgot to the dish's detriment.

I should have cut up the chicken and used less in
each turnover since I think these were all
power-lifters before they were our dinner and were too much for the crusts.

I figured the eggs were a wash or glaze so I
added that for the last bit of cooking. I'm not
sure about the translator and editor's note about
it being a thickener for the stuffing.

It was fairly tasty but would have been better
with the ingredients I forgot or the dog ate. The
chicken came out extremely tender. The crust
corners by themselves were overly salty but the
rest of it, including bits with salt pork did not seem too salty.

Note I did not mention how hot the oven was or
how long I cooked it.  This isn't to keep secrets
but because the oven I was working with has
calibration issues, like a complete collection of
National Geographic number of issues.

Æduin