[Sca-cooks] Stump the cook

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 08:30:54 PDT 2011

My shire (Sylvan Glen) has started having these quarterly A&S days that is just a number of all day venues for various disciplines. The format is intended to let people allow themselves to immerse into a discipline as little or as much as they want, and having someone oversee a particular discipoine. One of my students was managing the kitchen for such a day on Sunday, and we ask people to bring a pound of an ingredient (providing a list of suggested ingredients) and those who are exploring the cooking arts can take a look at the ingredients and go through some of the cook books and see what they can come up with.

Of course another of my students wanted to play "stump the cook" and brought a duck. "I've never cooked a duck before" came the response from the one managing the kitchen "and all the oven space is being used to roast the turkey and the pork. Any suggestions?" Hmmmm... thinks I and spies she brought my copy of Scappi. I went to the index and we found a recipe for stewing duck in wine with raisins (or currants, if I remember correctly) and spices and then cooking lasagna (we had fettucini that was brought) in the same liquid and topping it with cheese. I walked away from the kitchen, leaving my first student to interpret the recipe as she saw fit.

The resulting duck and drunken pasta was absolutely divine.

My second student says to the first "I'm going to have to try harder next time to stump you... But I don't mind losing this time" as she happily consumed the dish.

Euriol