[Sca-cooks] Picture of a spice plate

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jul 8 11:26:40 PDT 2011

Again the post in question referred to an excerpt from that book
Tastes of Paradise: A Social History of Spices,  Stimulants, and
Intoxicants by Wolfgang Schivelbusch

The line in question--
" They were passed around on a gold or silver tray- the spice
platter-during the meal or just after it. This platter was divided into
various compartments, each of which held a specific spice. Guests helped
themselves, adding spices as desired to the already seasoned dish, or
they
used the tray as a cheese or dessert platter."

Johnnae