[Sca-cooks] Yes It's Period and BBQ-Picnic-Potluck Feast Ideas

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Jul 12 23:26:42 PDT 2011

>> Idea 2: When you first started getting interested in cooking, what were the
>> dishes where you boggled, thinking "WOW! I've been making that dish
>> *forever*. It's documentably period? Awesome!"
>>
>> It's been interesting to see people's reactions in local, private
>> conversations and I'd love to hear people's conversations on them here too.
>>
>> Iasmin

Black-eyed peas. They turn up in the Carolingian Capitularies, as do
salt pork and a variety of greens. The transplanted southerners are
happy about that. Lentils too- and I've been cooking lentils with onion
and bits of carrots and some chicken broth and a bit of wine, and adding
cumin- a lot of it- and some grains of paradise. Sharpen it a tiny bit
with verjus or vinegar, and you have something a lot like chili that
isn't actually chili. :-)

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore