[Sca-cooks] Saffron Story

Mem Morman mem at rialto.org
Sun Jul 31 19:26:43 PDT 2011

A number of years ago, a very sweet and gentle lady become Crown
Princess in the kingdom where I lived.  I was preparing to cook the
feast for her coronation.  She showed up, all excited, at cooks guild
one night with a nice bunch of round, orangey flowers.  I thanked her
pleasantly, and she then explained that she had heard saffron was very
expensive, but she wanted me to use it in some dishes for the feast, so
she was bringing me these safflowers so I could dry my own and not have
to pay for the saffron.  I explained that while saffron did come from a
flower, it was a different flower.  She was quite disappointed and not
quite sure I was correct.  Needless to say, this was in the years before
the internet.  But I thought you might enjoy the story.
Elaina