[Sca-cooks] spice plate, comfits

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 4 20:06:23 PDT 2011

Aine said on June 24,
<<< And I will look for the place I  read about
the spice plate that was passed around at the end of the meal.   I
appreciate
the correction - possibly the source I read was not a good  source?
If you
have the source where you found the information about it  being like a
sweets plate passed around, I would very much appreciate it.   I am
entertaining
the idea of making a few simple medieval recipes with the  various
spices
to put out with my project. >>>

I'm sorry this is a bit late, but yes, it sounds like this spice plate
means a plate of candied spices, often called comfits.

For some more info on these, including info on making them, see these
files in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
comfits-msg (98K) 6/29/10 Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/comfits-msg.html

Smooth-Cmfits-art (12K) 5/30/07 "Historic Comfits Using Modern
Equipment" by Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Smooth-Cmfits-art.html

There are other sugared items that might have been on such a plate,
although I have no specific details on what was on particular plates
passed around.

candied-fruit-msg (48K) 7/ 3/11 Period candied fruit. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-fruit-msg.html

candied-peels-art (16K) 3/21/06 "Candied Fruit Peel" by Dame Alys
Katharine.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-art.html

candied-peels-msg (58K) 2/ 2/07 Candied fruit peels. A late period
treat.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-msg.html

candy-msg (220K) 2/17/08 Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candy-msg.html

Candying-art (9K) 6/29/99 Period and modern descriptions of the
candying process by Alys Katharine.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Candying-art.html

Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K) 7/15/98 "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses &
Sugar" by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Roses-a-Sugar-art.html

Sgr-a-Cnftns-art (20K) 12/26/00 "Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys
Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise Fleming)

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sgr-a-Cnftns-art.html

Stefan

======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris