[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for July

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 19:21:34 PDT 2011

Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for July detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.  Word
format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

Lastly, since I'm still looking for my next job, I won't be able to
make it to Pennsic. :-(  Those of you who are making your plans to
attend in a few weeks might wish to look through the files in the
PENNSIC section of the Florilegium.

Thanks,
Stefan
-----------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
research papers submitted as A&S entries.

The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate
alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    I-Guid-Brewng-art   "Intermediate Guide to Brewing" by HL Rory
McGowen.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    Rowany-Festvl-msg   Comments on and suggestions for those going
                           to the Romany Festival in Lochac.
In the CLOTHING s
    ME-Clothing-art     "Middle Eastern Clothing Practical Primer"
                           by asim al-talib.
In the COMBAT section:
    shoes4combat-msg    Footwear suggestions for SCA combat.
In the EQUESTRIAN section:
    Equest-4-New-art    "SCA Equestrian Activities for the New (or
                           Non) Equestrian" by Lady Eowyth þa Siðend.
In the FEAST-REVIEWS section:
    Unicorn-Feast-art   Feast of Unicorn in Atlantia in 2004 headed up
                           by Lord Nichola Buscelli.
In the FEASTS section:
    ckng-4-vigils-msg   Cooking suggestions for SCA peerage vigils.
In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
    fd-Brazil-msg       Food of period (colonial) Brazil.
In the PENNSIC section:
    War-Fare-rev        "War Fare Review" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
                           Recipes and remembrances from the Pennsic
                           Sated Tyger Inn and Battlefield Bakery.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    SCA-stories4-msg    SCA stories related after 1/1/2009.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    bathing-msg         Bathing and cleanliness in the Middle Ages.
    coopering-msg       Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.
    drying-foods-msg    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
    fd-monks-msg        Food of medieval monks.
    hummus-msg          Modern "hummus" dip is not the same as period
hummus.
    lebkuchen-msg       Period lebkuchen cookies. Recipes.
    merch-shoes-msg     Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
    pregnancy-msg       Pregnancy in period. Handling it in the SCA.
    rabbit-dishes-msg   Period rabbit and hare recipes.
    SCA-stories3-msg    SCA stories related from 5/1/96 to 1/1/2009.
    shoes-msg           Medieval footwear and SCA imitations.
    tongue-msg          Medieval cooking of tongue. Recipes.
    Turkey-msg          Period Turkey. Culture. History.
    verjuice-msg        Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
    warfare-msg         Period warfare.
---
Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com