[Sca-cooks] Swedish Culinary Blog

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 15 12:54:14 PDT 2011

Greetings! A historical re-enactor in Sweden posted her web site
(http://eldrimner.wordpress.com/) where she has a blog in English about
some of her period cookery attempts.  She refers to several German
texts, including a bean recipe from "Ein Buch von guter spise".  She
commented: "Though the translation said to boil the beans I was more or
less seething them rather than boiling them – and I might be wrong here
but I believed that the German word siude, is similar to sjuda in
swedish meaning to seethe rather than boil."  I thought that this was an
interesting observation and possibly "on the mark" regarding the English
translation. She also has recipes from Sabina Welserin with commentary
on how the recipe turned out.

I think a number of you will find her experiments interesting.  She's a
recent subscriber to the Tudor Cook Forum and cooks in a
mid-17th-century kitchen.  (Glimmingehus in Sweden)

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com