[Sca-cooks] The Naming of Names - slightly OOP

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 12:53:12 PDT 2011

Selene wrote:
> You are right with the founding baronies of Caid. Isles is no longer a
> barony though it was at the time.
>
> I have done extensive research and we had the name first. Let Al-Qaeda
> change theirs instead.

Well, to be perhaps more than a bit pedantic...

1.) the K sound in Caid and the Q in al-Qaeda are two significantly different sounds.

The "K" sound in Caid is a voiceless velar plosive, i.e., made with the back of the tongue pressed against the soft palate, with outward airflow powered by the diaphragm out the open throat.

Where as the "Q" in the other word is a voiceless uvular stop, i.e., made at the uvula by partially closing the throat before pushing the air out.

Since English lacks the Arabic sound, most news readers pronounce the "Q" like a "K". But if you listen to Arabic speakers or knowledgeable presenters, the sounds are quite different.

2.) the "ai" in Caid and the "ae" in al-Qaeda are also not the same sound.

The "ai" in Caid sounds like "ah-ee", where as the "ae" in the other word is "ah-ay".

Voila!

(Sheesh, if we had to think about where/how we produce each and every sound we make while speaking, i think most of us would be rendered speechless)

--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita