[Sca-cooks] OT: Rome and medieval Egypt

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jun 3 21:46:52 PDT 2011

In 332 BCE, Egypt fell to Alexander.  With Alexander's death in 323 BCE,
Egypt passed to his general, Ptolemy, who founded the Ptolemaic dynasty
which lasted for roughly 300 years until the death of Cleopatra in 30 BCE.
>From 30 BCE until 642 CE (Arab conquest), Egypt was a Roman province,
becoming part of the Byzantine Empire about 395 CE.  Under the Ptolemies,
the culture of the court was primarily Greek giving way to Roman culture.
Culinarily, The Deipnosophists (Atheneus) and the various Roman cookery
texts would likely cover the noble European Egyptians.  The general
Egyptians likely made do with a diet of onions, beans and bread.  We know
less about the Byzantine period.  During the Medieval period, the food was
probably similar to that found in al-Baghdadi, although that is open to
argument.

A key point to remember is that during the Greek and Roman period, Egypt's
primary export crops were wheat, millet, and sorghum.

Bear