[Sca-cooks] pottery braziers, cooking in pottery

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 08:07:27 PDT 2011

Respected friends:
--- On Thu, 6/16/11, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Alizaundre de Brebeuf quipped:
> <<< Back to trying to find a ceramic brazier that
> doesn't die after three uses. >>>
>
> I don't remember talking about ceramic braziers here
> before, but we have had some discussions on cooking in
> ceramic vessels over fires. How have yours been failing?
> Under what conditions?
> Stephan

Braziers actually hold fire - that's what they're for - so, even more than other ceramic cooking vessels, they're subject to catastrophic failure due to thermal shock. Basically, they heat unevenly, and as the hot part expands and the cold part does not, the stress fractures them. I've had several and they just crack, split, and die. They must have been doing something we're not; it's just a matter of finding someone who found the missing bit and uses it. 20+ years and no luck so far.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

"If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
but it's unlikely to end well."
--Goedjn