[Sca-cooks] pottery braziers, cooking in pottery

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 11:03:46 PDT 2011

Ceramic chaffing dishes have to be warmed up in preparation for adding the coals to the bowl of the dish.  You have to place the chaffing dish next to your fire/fire place and turn the chaffing dish to make sure that all sides are equalling hot.  Then you spread the fire and get only the hot coals and place them in the bowl.  You then can move the chaffing dish to wherever you wish to use it, although I would use hot mitts to do so.

My husband, Master Hroar, has been making ceramic chaffing dishes, ceramic fry pans, bread cloches and other cooking tools for many decades now.  The only time that his work has cracked or broken is when the user becomes impatient and starts to use them before they are ready.

You can find photos of his wares at this website:

http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/

Mistress Huette, proud wife to Master Hroar
Caid