[Sca-cooks] pottery braziers, cooking in pottery

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 11:10:04 PDT 2011

Probably because a ceramic chaffing dish is documentably period while a metal brazier probably isn't.  [I haven't done the research on metal braziers yet.]  You can find a lot of ceramic chaffing dishes in the pottery collection in the Museum of London.  There are also quite a few period paintings of nurses/mid-wives using ceramic chaffing dishes to make healing potions for their patients, who usually are depicted lying in bed, surrounded by their loved ones and physicians.

Huette
Caid