[Sca-cooks] What does this Dripping Dish Do?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Fri Jun 17 17:32:37 PDT 2011

I do NOT know for sure, but my guess is that I'd put this *below*
a roast to catch the fat that drips off the roast.


At 5:26 PM -0700 6/17/11, Mercy Neumark wrote:
>  So, I think by now you all know my first focus is pottery.  I do 
> cook, but I make a lot of different items.  I go through the Museum 
> of London site and try to find new items to make to sell and give 
> sometimes as gifts to people.
>  I came across this: 
> http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/largerimage.asp?obj_id=113105%20&img_id=49153
>  Here is the description of the item: 
> http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=113105
>  So, I have my ideas as to what it does, but really... what does it 
> do?  Is it for basting?  It has a spout/pouring lip.  It seems 
> really long and cumbersome of anything else, but I could be wrong.
>  Does anyone know of any good books that speak about what kitchen 
> items did in period (how they were used)?  There are numerous 
> warming dishes and oddities I can find, and honestly, I am not sure 
> how someone would use these items.
>  Thanks!
>  --Mercy

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list