[Sca-cooks] köl samen

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 18 13:41:14 PDT 2011

I can't say I've encountered them, but my guess is:

kölsamen, literally cabbage seed, are most likely seeds of a brassica  variety relateds to modern rapeseed (canola). Some brassica varieties back then produced oilseeds, if I can trust my Geschichte der Nutzpflanzen in Deutschland.

beneben looks to me like a combination of be(i) and neben, meaning something like 'close to' or 'next to'. Would that makew sense in the context?