[Sca-cooks] period spice containers/storage

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 23 13:15:57 PDT 2011

Aine wrote:
 >I am looking for any information on how spices were stored.  I have
 >found a reference to (and a picture of) a spice box that seems to be a
 >wooden  box that locks, that has compartments inside.   I have also
 >found  reference to a "spice plate" that is either silver or gold and
 >usually has  compartments to load spices in and pass around at a feast
 >or dinner of  upper-class guests in a noble's home (for example) for
 >adding spices on top of the food that is served.

The "spice plate" was used for the candied spices and similar items that
were served to end the meal.  They weren't used for adding spices on top
of the food that was served. Spices were added in the kitchens.  AFAIK,
other than salt, spices weren't provided for guests to use as seasonings
for their food.

Spices that might have been provided for the "banquet course" included
pepper, anise, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, cumin, and cubebs,
along with candied/sugared nuts like filberts, pine nuts and almonds.

Alys K.

--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com