[Sca-cooks] period spice containers/storage

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 24 13:07:39 PDT 2011

Aine wrote:
 >And I will look for the place I  read about the
 >spice plate that was passed around at the end of
 >the meal.   I appreciate the correction -
 >possibly the source I read was not a good
 >source?  If you have the source where you found
 >the information about it  being like a sweets
 >plate passed around, I would very much appreciate it.

Other than saying that such a plate wasn't (IIRC) passed around for
diners to add their own spices to their food, I don't think there was
any correction.  A spice plate or a sweets plate, however it might have
been called, would have served the same function - that of serving
sugared/candied spices to people at the close of a meal, rather like
after-dinner mints today.  They were frequently of silver, silver-gilt
or gold.

I'm not coming up with a good name for that type of plate at this
moment.  Someone else might have a more functioning brain (Johnna? Doc?
Bear? Adamantius?...?) as to what that serving utensil might have been
called.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming