[Sca-cooks] Mysterious Longish Things

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jun 29 20:58:59 PDT 2011

I would expect sausages to be served in some kind of a dish.  However, the
red items on the upper right illustration are in a person's hand, present a
rounded end, and appear to have an indentation in the center (say where the
links are seperated).  The flatness of the two dimensional drawing presents
an illusion of roundness, but the light colored objects appear to be lying
flat on the table and suggeswt to me a slice of bread carved from a galette.

Any round loaf could have had a cross slashed into the top.  Slashing the
dough allows greater expansion of the loaf from oven spring.  Traditional
breads often have distinct shapes and slashes depending on nationality and
region and I am familiar with a couple of French country breads that
commonly are slashed with a cross.  In this case, as the illustrations are
from a psalter, I would say the loaves are a representation of the
Eucharist.  Loaves of bread are often represented as circles on the table
cloth, where a plate or a bowl usually has more detail or shape to show
precisely what it is.

The knife on the table is a common knife used to carve slices from a loaf.

Bear