[Sca-cooks] ISO resources for history of cast iron cookware

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jun 13 21:35:45 PDT 2011

According to Michael Flecker, an expert on these wrecks, the most common
cast iron cookware found in wrecks are woks and cauldrons.  Rather than
being of Indonesian origin, the cast and wrought iron found in these wrecks
is of Chinese origin.  The Chinese had the raw materials and technology to
produce high quality iron that the other nations in Asia did not.

The importation of cast iron via Portugal is an interesting idea, but like
most ideas about cast iron cookware in Europe, there is no evidence for or
against.  In any event, such a trade would not have occurred before 1503 and
the return of the first spice fleet from India.  The trade is more likely
after 1513 when the first Portuguese caravelle made port in Canton.  This
leaves roughly a 400 year gap between the introduction of cast iron
manufacturing in Europe and the beginnings of the Portuguese oriental trade.
I suspect that a trade in cast iron utensils did not occur because there
were far more compact and valuable trade goods to hand.

One thought that I haven't chased down is wafer irons.  The most logical
cookware that is easily made of cast iron and likely to survive is the wafer
or waffle iron.  It might be interesting to find and examine some period
irons.

Bear