[Sca-cooks] ISO information on pickled fish

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 02:14:56 PDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Gretchen Beck wrote:

<<< This got me wondering; I don't remember seeing an earlier English
pickling recipe involving fish (although salting, brining, and
powdering are all mentioned in England and Scotland) than the one
above (although I have not looked extensively yet). Anyone have any
pointers for me, places/works to check? >>>

You're right, there's no specific file in the Florilegium on "pickled
fish". I guess I need to collect the material in such a file.

Using the search engine on the top page of the Florilegium turns up
several references, including several SCA feast reviews, which
hopefully refer back to a specific period recipe, but maybe not.

Check these files:

stockfish-msg (118K) 4/18/09 Period preserved fish.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stockfish-msg.html

Yeah, stockfish probably means only dried fish, but I didn't know that
then. There's a mention of a pickled fish dish in Forme of Cury.

There's at least a pickled salmon recipe in this file.

pickled-meats-msg (60K) 3/20/08 Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt.
recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-meats-msg.html

Stefan

--------