[Sca-cooks] powdered fish?

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 02:19:45 PDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Gretchen Beck wrote:

<<< This got me wondering; I don't remember seeing an earlier English
pickling recipe involving fish (although salting, brining, and
powdering are all mentioned in England and Scotland) than the one
above (although I have not looked extensively yet). Anyone have any
pointers for me, places/works to check? >>>

Powdered fish?  What is that, a dried fish which is then crushed into
a powder? How was it used in period recipes? As a soup base? I assume
dimilarly to what you'd do with a dried/stockfish, but if you soak or
boil them, you get something somewhat resembling a fish, at least.

If you powder a fish, does it keep the fish oils that are now coveted?
If so, will we see fish powder being added to chocolate shakes and
such in the future? :-)

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com