[Sca-cooks] powdered fish?

bronwynmgn at aol.com bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 05:08:59 PDT 2011

<<Powdered fish? What is that, a dried fish which is then crushed into a powder? How was it used in period recipes? As a soup base? I assume dimilarly to what you'd do with a dried/stockfish, but if you soak or boil them, you get something somewhat resembling a fish, at least.

If you powder a fish, does it keep the fish oils that are now coveted? If so, will we see fish powder being added to chocolate shakes and such in the future? :-)

If I remember correctly, "powdering" is a preservation method where the item to be preserved is buried in powdered salt.

Brangwayna Morgan