[Sca-cooks] period spice containers/storage

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Jun 22 20:38:28 PDT 2011

>Greetings.
>
>I am looking for any information on how spices were stored.  I have  found
>a reference to (and a picture of) a spice box that seems to be a wooden  box
>that locks, that has compartments inside.   I have also found  reference to
>a "spice plate" that is either silver or gold and usually has  compartments
>to load spices in and pass around at a feast or dinner of  upper-class
>guests in a noble's home (for example) for adding spices on top of  the food
>that is served.
>
>What I cannot find is if the spices were inside little pottery containers
>(stopped with what? cork? wood stoppers? waxed cloth?) or directly placed
>into  the compartments in the wood spice box? or if they were stored in linen
>bags?  leather bags? other?
>
>If anyone has some information on this, I would be very grateful.  I  am
>waiting on a few books from the library that I reserved, but I'm not sure if
>they will have what I'm looking for.... or if what I'm looking for even
>exists.  :)

"And for the profit of the lord who gives the feast, and in order to
satisfy the need more promptly and quickly, one should grind to
powder the aforesaid spices which are necessary for the said feast,
and put each separately into large and good leather bags."

Du Fait de Cuisine

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Du_Fait_de_Cuisine/du_fait_de_c_contents.html
--
David/Cariadoc