[Sca-cooks] Mysterious Longish Things

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jun 29 15:02:08 PDT 2011

Phlip,

I'm repeating Johnna's URL and sending them directly to you as well as the
list in case the list is acting wonky.

Christ on the road to Emmaus:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0001/bsb00012920/images/index.html?seite=60

The marriage at Cana:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0001/bsb00012920/images/index.html?seite=136

Salome's Dance:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0001/bsb00012920/images/index.html?seite=137

Not quite sure what this is depicting other than Christ and Disciples:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0001/bsb00012920/images/index.html?seite=138

I've looked at these and I think the items in question are meant to
represent slices of bread cut from the loaf.   The shape is most pronounced
in Salome's Dance.  The single knife on the table represents the implement
used to cut the bread (which I have seen actual being used to cut bread in
other illuminations, Codices Illustres, Taschen Press, IIRC).

Bear