[Sca-cooks] period spice containers/storage

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 21:13:56 PDT 2011

>Um, aren't peach kernels poisonous? And cherry stones are very hard. I can't
>see them softening enough to eat, even after candying. Or did people just
>suck the sugar off and get a bit of cherry flavour along with it?
>
>Angharad

Cherry kernels have a "nut" inside the shell, which is the part that
is eaten.  Mahlab is made from sour cherry kernels and is still used
a seasoning in the Middle East.  The taste is said to be a
combination or bitter almond and cherry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahlab

Peach kernels are similar to bitter almonds, mildly toxic, but you
would have to eat a large amount.

Ranvaig