[Sca-cooks] cooking as art or service

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Jun 27 21:16:36 PDT 2011

As I understand  it, whether you get (ultimately) a Pelican or a
Laurel in the East depends on what you'redoing.
If you serve large numbers of people good food, but aren't
particularly concerned with making the food period, you'd get a
Pelican. If, however,you study period cookery, and teach about it,
you'd tend to get a Laurel. If you do both, studying as well as
cooking and serving period food at  feasts, chances are eventually
you'd get both.

Our  Awards if High Merit are  rather different from those in the
Middle, too. Rather than worrying about whether a given activity is
an art or a science, both are covered under our Maunche, which is a
polling order. I know the Mid has both the Oak for Sciences, and the
Willow for Arts. The East generally seems  to have fewer awards than
the Middle  does, too, although I may be wrong. At  any rate, we only
have the Awards of High Merit between the AoA and the Peerages,
although there are a number of other awards for various  specific
things, unlike the Middle with both the Oak and the  Willow, and above
 that, I gather, the Evergreen.