[Sca-cooks] A question of philosophy

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Tue Jun 7 04:46:11 PDT 2011

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 06:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Euriol of Lothian <euriol at yahoo.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] A question of philosophy

I suppose for myself it would depend on the situation. And for the situation
you described, I would put in the cinnamon.
?
If you take on the context that pepper is a spice, as is cinnamon and sugar,
then if you just happen to have those two ingredients on hand...
?
To some this might be "justifying" the use, but I do not think that a person
from the middle ages would take the substitution as being out of the norm.
?
And sometimes it is easier to get people enthused about medieval foods by
showing them that it is not so different from modern foods.

Euriol
Oh, I like that approach. It's kind of what I ended up doing. I didn't have
any cinnamon (it probably sank into the mud - it was that kind of a day) so
I put nutmeg in. :-)

Angharad