[Sca-cooks] French Great Hamsters

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:04:02 PDT 2011

Hmmm,

I was always fascinated by the entry for the Hamster in Hildegard von
Bingen's Physica. She arranges her chapters by size, starting with the
largest of the category of animal she is addressing and going down.
She had the hamster listed between the squirrel and the marten. The
description stated that hamsters were fierce, like bears, and that
their fur made good clothing.

I cannot remember what she said about eating them.

--
Serena da Riva