[Sca-cooks] history of cast iron cookware

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 22:36:55 PDT 2011

A while ago we had this discussion before. I am white smith when I am not in the
kitchen cooking or in the studio getting tangled in fiber.

I have been following and corresponding with a group in Ireland called, Umha
Aois, for sometime who have been exploring and recreating Bronze Age casting and
smelting techniques. It is amazing what they have done and recreated. Check out
this video http://youtu.be/Ut3pXPyMze4
A lot of pots, if not ceramic, were bronze or pewter. Two ores that were and
easy to cast and use. Bronze is copper and tin or copper and zinc. Pewter, at
least until recently, was tin and lead. It is why pewter from a certain time is
dangerous. Iron production was still in its infancy during the Medieval Europe.
Ironically, it takes a hotter heat to smelt for bronze then iron. But, copper
and tin are easier to find then good solid iron ore. If you want my sources I
can post them.

To answer the question about cast iron cookware. That is game on semantics. Now,
I am only speaking of Midieval Europe, primarily Northern Europe, and not Asia.
The smelting techniques and iron deposits in China were more refined then in
Europe during our time period. As of right now the only archeological hard
evidence we have of "iron" pots are riveted. There are some fine examples in the
British Muesum in London and Birka, Sweden. What "cast iron" items that have
been found are actually "pig iron." Pig iron is created after the iron smelting
process when the finalized smelted ore is then sand casted into ingots. They
apparently, look like piglets suckling a mamma pig. Thus the "pig iron"
description. Another group that we follow.. check out Hammered out
Bits...http://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/medieval-cast-iron.html
I am looking forward to the day to meet Darrell and show him my bellows.

The Dutch ovens with the little feets we see in many camps is actually an 18th
century product brought to the U.S by Dutch pioneers. It was easy to carry and
compact and became a popular cooking items on the Chuckwagons.
http://www.socaldos.org/
By the 18th century cast iron production had become industrialized and much more
refined. Dutch Ovens now are a cast item.

Some books: They are nerdy scholarly kind but they are good.
Lars Christian Norback, International Union of Prehistoric and Protohistoric
Sciences
 Prehistoric and medieval direct iron smelting in Scandinavia and Europe:aspects
of technology and society : proceedings of the Sandbjerg conference, 16th to
20th September 1999

David S. Niel, Angela Wardel, and Jonathan Hunn, Excavation of the Iron Age,
Rome and Medieval Settlement at Gorhambury, St. Albans.

A cool website from the University of Toronto.
http://www.the-orb.net/encyclop/culture/scitech/iron_steel.html

v/r
Aelina

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.