[Sca-cooks] Salt Pigs, was: pottery braziers, cooking in pottery

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 11:32:57 PDT 2011

Hi!

My husband, Master Hroar, makes salt pigs.  See our website:

http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/

However, there is no real documentation for salt pigs.  Yes, the OED does say that the word "pig" can mean an earthenware vessel, but it does not specifically state that these pigs are for holding salt.  Various websites say that salt pigs are Scots/Northern British and go "way back", which means that there is no documentation for them yet.

Huette
Caid