[Sca-cooks] Dutch ovens was history of cast iron cookware

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 18 01:33:34 PDT 2011

The little round-bottomed, three-leggged metal pot (Middle Low German Grapen) has been in use in Northwestern Europe for a very long time, so I wonder what the difference between a Dutch oven and a lidded Grapen would be. Grapen were traditionally made from copper alloys. Would it be enough to shift from cast copper alloy to cast iron to make it a Dutch oven? In that case I doubt contemporaries would have noticed the transition.

YIS

Giano