[Sca-cooks] ISO information on pickled fish

Gretchen Beck cmupythia at cmu.edu
Tue Jun 14 15:43:24 PDT 2011

I recently tried the recipe for pickled salmon in Mrs. McLintock’s Receipts for Cookery (cut salmon in pieces, boil, make a pickle of white wine vinegar, water, pepper, ginger, allspice, let everything cool, pour pickle on the salmon) -- which is an extremely tasty recipe. Unfortunatly for SCA use -- Mrs McLintock is 1736

I was looking through the Floreligium, and noticed discussion of the Lord's Salt recipe from Cariadoc's Miscellany -- which is a similar (somewhat more complex and with bread crumbs) pickle , but is described for meat, not fish

This got me wondering; I don't remember seeing an earlier English  pickling recipe involving fish (although salting, brining, and powdering are all mentioned in England and Scotland) than the one above (although I have not looked extensively yet). Anyone have any pointers for me, places/works to check?

Thanks much!

toodles, margaret