[Sca-cooks] Game for Your Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Mar 2 17:34:39 PST 2011

You're looking at the present range, not what their range was pre-1600.  The
great bustard's European range extended from England across Southern Europe
and into Central and Northern Europe.  They are extinct in England, Sweden,
Switzerland and Poland.  There is still a breeding population in Russia and
Hungary.  It was more common than you assume.

Almost all other large birds were taken by hunting, while turkeys, like
geese, chickens and guinea fowl could be farm raised.  Besides tasting
better than other large birds, turkeys cost less.  For Catherine de Medici's
feast of 1549, turkey hens cost 20 sols, turkey cocks cost 30 sols, bustards
cost 70 sols, and swans cost 100 sols.  The sol or sou is 1/20 of a livre.

Bear