[Sca-cooks] eels again

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 15:39:45 PST 2011

Ian of Oertha asked:
<<< okay, so what species of eel are we talking, here, and where can I get some? >>>

Try this Florilegium file. In the FOOD-MEATS section:
eels-msg (28K) 1/17/08 Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/eels-msg.html

I believe I asked a similar question in the past. While I haven't had the time to go looking for them, I think the solution was to look at some of your local asian markets.  Eels used to be much more commonly eaten in the US, but they have fallen out of favor. The same can't be said for other parts of the world and people who have moved here from there still look for eels. You should be able to find them fresh there. I think that is also where I found the cans of smoked eel that I have here at home. But you might also be able to find these in among the cans of tuna and sardines in your local grocery store.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com