[Sca-cooks] eels again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Mar 4 14:45:25 PST 2011

> Eels were raised in captivity in the Middle Ages. If the money is there,
> I'm sure they could be cultivated again.
>
> I wonder if it's easier than raising catfish?
>
> Stefan

Eels are raised in captivity in the US.  They are not bred in captivity.
Both American and European freshwater eels breed in the ocean.  The elvers
then migrate back to freshwater where they spend a number of years maturing
before returning to the ocean to repeat the cycle.  Elvers are captured as
they return to freshwater and are penned to provide a continuous source of
eels.  Eels raised in captivity are more susceptible to disease and
parasites than those growing in the wild.

Bear