[Sca-cooks] Lard and suet

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 07:28:36 PST 2011

I can get pig's back fat from my local Asian grocery and render the lard myself.  I render tallow about once a year, mostly for the husband's shoemaking needs, but I do use some for cooking.

One of Tulsa's butchers has suet only at Christmas time, but what you get is a box of mixed fats, some of which will be actual kidney fat, the rest being relatively "clean" but ordinary beef fat.

If I want leaf lard, I'd probably have to start with buying a pig.

By the way, the last time I was in the Asian market, I saw little plastic containers of blood in the meat section.  Any idea what kind they might be? I don't read Chinese and couldn't find anyone to ask.

Talana