[Sca-cooks] period dishes to use blood in

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 23:09:02 PST 2011

Talana commented:
<<< By the way, the last time I was in the Asian market, I saw little plastic containers of blood in the meat section.  Any idea what kind they might be? I don't read Chinese and couldn't find anyone to ask. >>>

Okay, probably a "city boy" question, but what is the texture of the blood when it is sold this way? Is it a dry cake? Or liquid? Or something in-between? I assume it clots, but I have no idea if it stays that way or whether it is ground up or other liquid is added to it or just what. I'm assuming that it needs to be kept refrigerated?

Just in case folks are wondering what to do with it, here are a few dishes period dishes that might use it.
Blood-Soup-art (12K) 12/26/00 "Polish Black Soup - Czarnina" by Casamira Jawjalny, O.L.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Blood-Soup-art.html

blood-dishes-msg (38K) 4/15/09 Use of blood in period foods. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/blood-dishes-msg.html

Recipes for period black puddings/blood sausage are also given in this file.
sausages-msg (182K) 1/15/08 Period sausages. Making sausage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/sausages-msg.html

Hmmm. Since this file is so big, perhaps I have enough on black puddings/blood sausage to move them to a new file.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com