[Sca-cooks] mulled wine

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 17 14:28:00 PDT 2011

Ian of Oertha asked:
<<< I'm finding lots of recipes for spiced or fruity wine; but the only stuff I
find for "wassail" is not period.....is wassail a class of thing?  I mean,
is hypocras a wassail?

Or is there an actual recipe for period wassail? >>>

No, I think I would consider wassail to be a class of hypocras, although hypocras is usually a spiced wine whereas wassail can be cider or wine and is usually a Yule or cold-weather thing.

wassail-msg       (26K)  2/10/07  Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/wassail-msg.html

And as Johnnae mentioned:
Wassail-Trad-art   (8K)  7/ 1/07  "Wassail Traditions" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Wassail-Trad-art.html

In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section, since it covers more than the beverage.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com