[Sca-cooks] History of the "stew" that is Chili

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Mar 21 12:15:38 PDT 2011

Chili is actually a Native American meat sauce which is place on top of
vegetables, such as beans, that have been cooked seperately.  Hearthy when
times are good and a means of stretching the meat when the hunting is poor.
It's consideration as a "stew" and the use of hamburger rather than small
chunks of meat are later developements.  To my knowledge, chili's
antecedents are purely North American.

Apocryphally, Saint Mary of Agreda describes the making of chili in her
writings and George Herter published a recipe for Chili con Carne Mary of
Agreda (which is excellent), but I tend to discount the whole thing
considering the extremely mystic nature of her sainthood.  Besides, she's
first half og the 17th Century.

Bear