[Sca-cooks] Re medieval capirotada

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:08:42 PDT 2011

On 3/10/11 5:37 AM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> <<<  The medieval capirotada consists of layers of bread and roast fowl
> with a sauce on top.  I don't see much relationship to an olla
> podrida.>>>
My tardy reply is due to a disfunctional internet connection.
I think the author who related capirotada with olla podrida was thinking
about the sauce on top and being a meat dish while olla podrida is a
meat and veggie stew. Now if that author is as bad as a cook as I, his
capirotada is barely distinguishable from the olla podrida as the meat
and bread float around in the sauce like little boys sail boats in big
ponds.
Joking aside the author missed the salient point about capirotada - I
think this is one of the first recipes we have calling for grated cheese
if not the first.
Suey