[Sca-cooks] Foodgrade Sandlewood

Moramarsh at aol.com Moramarsh at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 18:11:58 PDT 2011

Our Sandalwood is on the Pharmacy Food Grade - Usable for cooking  List.

There are several grades of the bark from outer , middle, inner, and  heart.

Otherwise I wouldn't suggest it.

Mora
Dragonmarsh

Beautiful  Downtown Dreiburgen
CAID

In a message dated 3/21/2011 11:57:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

Mora of  Dragonmarsh wrote:
>Food grade Sandalwood is also called  Saunders.
>
>We carry both the Yellow/Tan version = Sandalwood Tan  Powder (Santalum
>album)  1/2 oz $2.95
>
>Also Red  Sandalwood Powder - slightly cinnamon taste - (Pterocarpus
>santalinus)  1/2 oz $2.95.
>1/2 oz is approximately 1/3 of a cup by volume for recipe  use.
>
>20% Discounts for 1 lb packages- get together and  save.
>
>All our herbs and spices are pharmacy grade .

True  Sandalwood, Santalum albumm -- sometimes called White Sandalwood
--  although it is more of a very pale tannish yellow color -- is not
considered safe to eat. This is the sandalwood with the lovely
fragrance.

What i usually see called for in SCA period recipes is  Red Sandalwood
/ Red Sanders / Red Saunders, Pterocarpus santalinus. This  had little
flavor but adds an interesting warm red color to  dishes.

I don't want people to injure themselves or their diners using  true
Sandalwood in their food.
--
Urtatim [that's  err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as  Anahita