[Sca-cooks] Game for Your Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Mar 2 14:47:04 PST 2011

> Renaissance at least, since it is a New World bird. However, there is/was
> a large European bird known as a bussard, note the "ss" not "zz". that was
> eaten. It wasn't the American scavenger bird with the 'zz's.  This is one
> reason that the turkey was accepted fairly quickly since it was replacing
> something that the Europeans were already familiar with.
>
> I think it is reasonable to serve a modern turkey if you cook it as they
> would have a bussard or other large bird. Some, swan?, might taste a bit
> different to do this for, though. But that may principally be the
> difference between a water fowl and a land bird.
>
> Stefan

Stefan, bussards are raptors.  The word comes from the Middle English busard
and modernly is spelled buzzard.  To my knowledge, they aren't particularly
taasty.  I believe the bird of which you are thinking is the Great Bustard
(Otis tarda) which is found in Europe and weighs over 20 kg (44 lbs).

Bear