[Sca-cooks] Game for Your Feast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 15:58:31 PST 2011

<<< Working on this project led me to review what I have served and seen
served of these foods within the context of the SCA. I was curious as
to how often game, wild birds, or fish are served at events in the
respective kingdoms of members of this list. What have you served or
seen served? How typical is it to have game or seafood at feast? From
where are your experiences in this drawn?

Guillaume
------------------------------
I serve venison quite commonly (I know a place I can get it the same price
as beef), and have served rabbit (wild and farmed) and fish. Also quail,
though not at a feast. I haven't seen anyone else do much more around here.
Game meats aren't exactly commonly available, the local wildlife isn't
really standard eating material, and hunting is not a common pastime.

Angharad >>>

Thanks, Angharad. But it might help to indicate where you are, since Guillaume was wishing to know how the serving of game differed in the different kingdoms.  And while I should probably remember, I can't remember right now, where you are located.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com